The Hunger Games Review


The Hunger Games series brings the reader to Panem, hundreds of years after America has fallen, and creates a new reality with the perfect mix of the world we know with fantasy. Katniss, a tough teenager in the slum of District 12, shows independence, courage, stupidity, and bravery. She experiences more pain than most can imagine and learns how to find her soft side. By the end, readers are left asking “Real or not real?” and sometimes the answers can get a little fuzzy after spending three books in another world.

Despite the enthusiasm my friends displayed in regards to this series, I was a bit apprehensive going in. I’m not usually one to fall head-over-heels for young adult novels, especially really popular ones (remember Twilight). But, I borrowed it for free from Amazon on my Kindle and thought I’d give it a shot. Wow. Once I started reading, I couldn’t put it down; and once I finished the first book, I immediately bought the next two.

This series blew me away with its realness. Suzanne Collins wrote pain, suffering, and loss so well that I was actually feeling it. Yes, I’ve read other books that do this—but this series was exceptionally real. The imagery in these books is phenomenal. I felt the fear of the Games, I smelled the roses, I heard the bombs, I rallied with the Mockingjay, I fell in love with characters and loathed other characters. I was in Panem.

Another thing I loved was how pure the relationships were. Katniss’ relationships with the boys are not destructive and filled with sex. I think she sets a pretty good example for readers, which is definitely saying something with the way mainstream novels are written these days.

No matter how many movies they break it up in to or how big the budget is, the movies can never do this series justice. The Hunger Games are definitely going on my list of favorite series. 


Blogger note: I tried to write three separate reviews for The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay, but due to the fact that I read them all rapidly within 24 hours, it is all one story to me and breaking it up isn't possible in my mind yet. 

Posted by Jane | at 12/29/2011 12:35:00 AM

0 comments:

Post a Comment