The Joy of Children

Let's set the stage: It's the middle of May and I'm going home in a week or two. I've filled out over a dozen applications and I am in serious need of a job. I've been a part of a website called Care.com where I can find kids to babysit, but I'm not really sure if this is what I want. I love my nephews and niece and I love my Pastor's kids and I have fun when I'm around kids, but is this what I want to do all summer? My mom keeps telling me that I probably won't like it, so I look for other jobs. Days pass and I realize that I seriously just need a job. A lady posts about her 15 month old named Connor. I messaged her back and we struck up a conversation.

Fast forward a month and here I am, watching Connor a few days a week and actually enjoying it. I also hang out at my Pastor's house enough to know his kids pretty well. On top of that, I still have my nephew Stephen at my house and his little sister Jasmine a couple days a week. Through all of this, I have learned something about myself that I never knew.

I love kids.

I don't love kids enough to want to teach small children, but I've realized that I do, in fact, want children because they bring joy to life and light into even the darkest of days. Children are innocent and playful; they are honest and still not corrupted by the world.

I decided to look up some Bible verses on children and found that Psalm 127:3-5a is my favorite. It is an inspiring passage.

Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a reward from him. Children born to a young man are like arrows in a warrior's hands. How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them! 

Question: How have the children in your life rewarded you today?  

Posted by Jane | at 6/27/2011 02:21:00 PM

2 comments:

Linda said...

lots of hugs and kisses, a head on my shoulder just to be close, excitement over chocolate chip cookies, baby boy spitting in my direction just because he thinks the sound is fun (and it's actually funny), hearing them praise God with songs they made up, watching them recall and apply a scripture in a moment of correction, remembering my day is full of purpose because God chose to reward me with the responsibility of teaching them of Him in every intentionally lived moment of the day--- learning the amazing ways God parents me as I lean on Him to parent them and beginning to realize that God does work to change the world one family at a time

sjr2010 said...

Very awesome. You brightened my day with that. :) (And your children always brighten my day--even if they only just smile and say hi)

Post a Comment