Inspiring thoughts on Same Kind of Different As Me

This book really touched me and brought me to tears. It is to amazing to me that there was (and probably still is) this form of modern-day slavery and so few people even know that such a thing exists. While I don’t know anyone who lives in a mansion, we definitely have it so much better than other people out there.


What really moved me in this book was Deborah’s heart. I have always strived to love everyone unconditionally it, but I really don’t even come close. The time she spent and the devotion she had to the homeless people is definitely something every person should strive for. She was truly a pinprick of light in the darkness.




Everything Deborah did reminds me of something a few of my online friends and I had talked about. A friend’s dream to have a home and schooling and everything for those less fortunate sparked a serious conversation between a few of us. The dream is something like this: To have a place for kids to call home, with schooling and transportation and to even have centers in all the major cities and have transportation between them. There are many other things that were added and discussed, but the price tag is hefty. These “plans” were all ideas that came from teenagers and early twenty-somethings. If only wealthy adults shared the same dreams, the world would be completely changed.

On another note, this book made me think of the Interfaith Hospitality Network that my church is able to be a part of.  Homeless families spend days at the center and then they are transported to local churches who serve them dinner and have activities and then they sleep at the church. In the morning, they are transported back to the center. My church has been a part of this for two years now and we’ve been able to host families three times.  I know that our church has benefited from being able to serve, and minister to, these families.

Selfless things should be done by all followers of Christ not just once or twice a year, but all the time!  I cannot help but wonder how different our nation would be if every Christian shared the same dream as my friends and I. 

__________
Artwork taken from Denver Moore's website.

Posted by Jane | at 7/09/2010 01:50:00 AM

0 comments:

Post a Comment