Thanksgiving and Prayer - Part 2

Alright, part two of prayer and thanksgiving. You know the drill, get out your Bible. It’s only day two, you can’t be sick of it yet. Today we’ll do Philippians 1:7-11. We’ll just finish the prayer and thanksgiving section.

But first, before we go through the verses we're going to pray. I'll keep it simple this time...just because I'm just starting out slow and the original person this was intended for really needs this broken down.

Dear Lord Jesus, I just ask that as we read these verses that you would give us all wisdom. That you would show us meaning in each and that we would each be able to apply this passage to our lives. I thank You, Lord, for the wonderful opportunity that we have to be able to read and study Your Word and to do it in as public of a place as the internet. Amen.

Read Philippians 1:7-11.

Same drill as before, read it, try to understand it. Feel it. Think it. Breathe it. Be it.

7a It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart;
Referring back to yesterday’s lesson, it’s saying that I pray for you and have joy for you because you are in my heart. Really, you are, and you know that.

7b for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me.
Remember, this is Paul writing, he was imprisoned for spreading the gospel. And no matter where I am, what we’re going through, we share God’s grace.

8 God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.
Only God truly knows how much I absolutely love you, and I love you with the same love that Christ Jesus loves you with. Also, I long for all of you to be followers of Christ.

9 And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight,
This is Paul praying for the Philippians, and me praying for you. I pray for your love to thrive more and more, and that you may have much knowledge and insight in His word and in life.

10 so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ,
I pray that you may be able to have the wisdom to hear when God tells you what is best for things that really matter. And that you would be pure and blameless for when Christ returns, even though that is slightly pushing it. We can never be pure and blameless.

11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ - to the glory and praise of God.
Also praying that you will be filled with the “fruit of righteousness” when the day of Christ comes and that this righteousness comes from Jesus Christ and this is all to praise God. That’s what everything in life should be about, praising God.

So these verses are the ending of my thanksgiving for you, and my prayers for you. (Well, technically, Paul’s thanksgiving and prayer to the Philippians)

Be the light. The pinprick of light in the darkness. The star. Be the star.

Posted by Jane | at 6/20/2009 10:55:00 PM

0 comments:

Post a Comment